Thursday, July 24, 2014

Graphite Baby Portrait WIP Continued

I am moving right along into the hair.  With the exception of the long wisps on the top, this little guy has some very light and super fine hair.  It is really challenging me.  For right now, the goal is to finish all the hair and then step back and refine it.  The camera's focus was on his facial features, leaving the hair with very little definition.  It almost blends in with the underlying flesh tone.  I am not sure if a little artistic license will be needed, when it is all on paper. 
 

 
 
 

Graphite is not the kindest form of art to photograph.  I purchased a Canon Rebel T3i for Christmas and need to start messing with the settings and lighting.  But I think, this shows the work well enough for now.  :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's going to be stunning... it already is! About taking pictures of graphite... this sounds odd, but I have tried several different ways, and what works best for me is to lay the drawing flat on my table or sometimes on the floor, during daylight hours, with no indoor lights on, making sure no shadows cross the paper, and then holding my camera level above it. It takes a few tries to get the camera level, but some of that you can correct on the computer. I find that the contrast shows up the best that way. But everybody has their own way that works best for them! Love the drawing, I can't wait to see more progress!

Brenda said...

Thanks Katherine! I will definitely give that a try next photo. This one was taken sitting on the board with artificial light. The transitions in the skin tone look a little choppy.